The present-day Fremantle Wesley Uniting Church was completed in 1889. It was the second building, replacing the first Methodist Church which had been built in Fremantle in 1841. The gallery was added in 1898 when church membership increased due largely to the gold discoveries at Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie. The church has seen many changes over the years including the donations of the pulpit and the pipe organ which was donated by Mr Joseph Freeman of Ballarat, Victoria. It was built in Ballarat in 1859 and was installed in Fremantle Wesley in 1902. Most of its component parts are original. Age and falling damp (which affects the limestone) have left their mark and decorative panels have now been replaced by plain walls.
In 1977 Fremantle Wesley Methodist Church became the Fremantle Wesley Uniting Church following the union of the Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian Churches.
The Fremantle Wesley Mission strives to serve our community with love and hope. We affirm the Christian conviction that God in Jesus Christ has demonstrated what it means to be truly human. The Mission provides pastoral care for its members, the disadvantaged and young families, those seeking blessings for major events in their lives (eg marriage, baptism, etc), as well as those whose cultural backgrounds are different and who need support in the community.
Address: Corner Market & Cantonment Streets, Fremantle